Dark Places (also called DarkPlaces) is the engine used by Transfusion and it is a heavily modified version of the Quake engine by id Software. Transfusion can also be run with other Quake engines however it is primarily geared towards Dark Places. Dark Places is used in other major free software projects such as Nexuiz and the free/commercial Steel Storm. It was programmed by Forest Hale (LordHavoc) and Transfusion is free software and is under the GNU General Public License. As it is based on Quake, it is also compatible with the later id tech engines. As such some maps from Transfusion have been converted to id tech 3 (Quake III engine) for Q3 BloodBath. There is also a Caleb character model and bot available for Quake III (OpenArena compatible), made by Philip Stavitsky. Also, there is a Caleb player model for the id Tech-based Kingpin: Life of Crime. There is also a fan fiction story by Kain-Xavier called "More Blood in the Arena Eternal" which creates a crossover between the storyline of Quake III and Blood II.
 See Also
- Transfusion: the fan made Blood remake that is powered by Dark Places.
- LithTech: the engine used in Blood II: The Chosen its Blood II: The Nightmare Levels expansion pack.
- Build: the engine used in Blood and its expansion packs: Cryptic Passage, and the Plasma Pak.
- ZDoom: the engine that is used in the fan made ZBlood.
- Doom: the engine used in the fan made Blood TC.
- Flash: the internet software plugin that powers the fan made The Flesh Game.